Objectives of SIWES
Specifically, the objectives of the Students Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES) are to:
1. Provide an avenue for students in institutions of Higher Learning to acquire industrial skills and experience in their course of study, which
are restricted to Engineering and Technology including Environmental Studies, Sciences and other courses that may be approved.
2. Prepare students for the industrial work situation they are to meet after graduation.
3. Expose students to work methods and techniques in handling equipment and machinery that may not be available in their Institutions.
4. Make the transition from school to the world of work easier and enhance student’s contacts for later job placement.
5. Provide students with an opportunity to apply their knowledge in real work situation thereby bridging the gap between theory and practice; and
6. Enlist and strengthen Employers involvement in the entire educational process and prepare students for employment in Industry and Commerce.
Functions of the SIWES UNIT
By the directive of National Universities Commission (NUC) and Industrial Training Fund (ITF), the Unit is mandated to carry out the following functions.
1. Seeking of industrial placement for undergraduate students enrolled in disciplines scheduled for participation in SIWES.
2. Supervision of the students undergoing their Industrial training in the various place of IT
3. Processing of students’ logbooks, ITF forms and industrial attachment reports upon which is based on the Federal Government funding of
supervision and students’ allowances.
4. Fostering of close links between the university and industries participating in SIWES programme.
5. Provision of advisory guidance to participating students on career employment opportunities.
6. Monitoring of compliance with the requirements of SIWES on the part of students in eligible disciplines as a condition for graduation.
7. Facilitation of the disbursement of the students’ allowance to deserving students through e-payment